Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar eclipse impact radio? Can you tune in totality on the am or fm bands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar eclipse impact radio? Can you tune in totality on the am or fm bands?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DXC_SolarEclipse2024.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1550
    Loyd VHAM Radio Broadcasters and DX'ers
    March31at2:59AM · NEW VIDEO: WILL THE SOLAR ECLIPSE IMPACT RADIO? CAN YOU TUNE IN TOTALITY ON THE AM OR FM BANDS?

I have put up a new video on the DX Central YouTube channel, discussing the science of what will be occurring during the upcoming Solar Eclipse on the AM band in the United States.
    Thought this might be of interest of some folks that are going to be on-air on April 8th on an AM station, as those of you in the path of totality might be getting out a bit further that day!
    Do any of you with stations in the path of totality have any plans for special programming or content during the eclipse? If so, I would love to alert the DX community as well!
    Video premieres at 6pm CDT on Sunday, March 31
    https://youtu.be/kwjl-FJ1wa0

The background noise level on the AM Broadcast band on an open frequency should rise up to 9 dB S/N as it tracks past us In FN20jq, we will have 90% coverage. The closest approach will be Rochester, New York at 210 miles, 324 degrees. Maximum Eclipse will be at 2:17 pm in the Lehigh Valley area.

Comment

I might be Dxing some of the 50,000 watt Chicago AM stations to see if they come in. (252 miles)
      Maybe take a gander at the expanded 1600 - 1710 band too.
      I don't think the eclipse will affect FM.
      I think we'll be in 98 to 99% totality

Comment

I heard Cleveland Ohio 1100 WTAM like a local. Also 850 Cleveland was strong too.
        I heard Chicago do good on 720 and 780 but 1000 was stronger.
        I heard WSM Nashville TN also come in good for awhile.
        I might have heard 1110 WBT Charlotte NC, but I can't say for sure.

I didn''t DX AM all that much because the TEF 6866 is a dog on AM because of it's 9 khz steps. (Can it be changed?)
        I should have bought out a better radio, but I just really wanted to check out the eclipse on the back deck.

Comment

Below are three Youtube videos of the Partial (91%) Solar Eclipse on Monday, April 8, 2024 from Easton, Pennsylvania.

2024 Partial Solar Eclipse - Easton, Pennsylvania (youtube.com)
          2024 Solar Eclipse Research : Medium Frequency Propagation (youtube.com)
          Partial Solar Eclipse = Medium Wave Radio Propagation (youtube.com)

Read the descriptions for each video and set the Youtube video setting to HD 1080p. ​​​

Comment

Working...
          X