Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TEF6686 Can Now Autolog RDS and Report it to Rabbit Ears!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TEF6686 Can Now Autolog RDS and Report it to Rabbit Ears!

Russ Dwarshuis, KB8U has done it again. He has written new a new firmware update for the TEF6686t that will allow the receiver to automatically scan the FM band looking for RDS signals and report these to the Rabbit Ears Autologger. Russ, Patrick Martin, and myself have been beta testing the firmware for a few weeks and have all been pleased with the results.

The TEF6686 is a very sensitive receiver with excellent RDS detection, on par with the AirSpy HF+ Discovery. The new firmware offers the possibility of having a logging receiver without the need for a computer. The receivers are roughly 1/3 the cost of an AirSpy SDR, so you can afford to have multiple receivers running.

The TEF6686 has already put several new stations in my log and it's lighting fast RDS decodes are well suited to meteor scatter. If you are interested in participating in the Beta Test, you must first download the latest firmware. As of October 10, 2024, the latest version is V2.11.5 and it can be downloaded at :https://discord.com/channels/1053804...40813302784031

After that, you'll need to contact me to obtain your USER ID for Rabbit Ears and get more detailed instructions on how to connect to the receivers internal Wi-Fi network long enough to update some settings and then connect to your home Wi-Fi network for reporting. Contact me here, on the #FMDX SLACK Group, or via email at n1lf.sec@gmail.com.

.Russ is also experimenting with adding an external Wi-Fi antenna to the TEF6686, increasing the range. This might allow for receivers to be mounted in weatherproof enclosures near the antenna to reduce coax loss.​
Working...
X