Are the WTFDA Forums Still a Thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the WTFDA Forums Still a Thing?

Where have all the DXers gone? They must be all posting at groups.io, because there hasn't been a post here in three weeks. This brings up a question for the board. If no one uses the Forums anymore, is it still worth having? It would be nice to hear back from someone about this topic. That is if anyone comes here to read it.
    TV DXing from Fairfield, Connecticut since 1977

They weren't posting to groups.io very much either. Part of that is lousy conditions. Part of that is the various social media options such as FB. I think the Forums took a major hit when it was down for a period of time and then when resurrected, no longer had the historical posts.

There are too many options for FM/TV and also for MW/LW.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Russ. Yes, the "big reset" of this website didn't help. I've been told that some WTFDA members have started competing sites on platforms such as Discord and Slack. I'm afraid that the DXer pie (which is quite small to begin with) is being sliced into too many pieces, which probably won't help the hobby in the long run. I would think you need an umbrella website for the WTFDA like the Forums (and wtfda.org) for everyone to congregate to so we can keep the club moving forward into the future. Some entity has to promote the hobby.
      TV DXing from Fairfield, Connecticut since 1977

Comment

Forums is a good idea but the online world is a scattered landscape. I think of Forums like I did of the old VUD. In fact, I see it as the closet possible replacement. There are places to report DX and also unIDs, with accommodation for audio clips. There's places for various kinds of discussion. And so on. Forums does tie into club identity. I was sorry to see the member dues disappear, aside from an initial join, because I think it reminds everyone once a year that they're a club member. I like the WTFDA logger, both the real-time nature of it and the archives. I hate Facebook simply because I hate most social media; nothing to do with WTFDA's presence there. I'm on Discord because of the club, and like the ability to post clips, but find Discord awkwardly designed (again, nothing to do with the club). I'm not on Slack. Too many channels in this online universe. WTFDA does need a presence in as many places as possible because it promotes and potentially links to the club. But DXers are drifting all over the place. Following so many venues takes (and wastes) time. I'd like to see Forums remain, but would like to see more DXers using it. I try to drive traffic here by posting audio clips and then posting the link in other venues. The answer might be for members who know other DXers to invite them over. It costs less than a couple coffees. I do like the tightening that Forums has done the last year or so.

Comment

The logger is, well, stunning! A big thank you to Bryce and anyone else who had a hand!

Comment

Agreed about the Logger, and that our small pond has been spread thin by all the options that weren't around in decades' past.

As for me, most of my online activity as a DXer is on YouTube, where I can share recordings. There are still forums I follow, such as ours, but I'm no longer really active on any of them. That's down to lack of threads, lack of DX, and my own busy schedule. I really wish they'd expand the FM band or give us a DAB band. Seems that would reinvigorate things somewhat.

Comment

Working...
            X