Online AI aide for solving unIDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online AI aide for solving unIDs

Not so much as an unID but an online AI aide to solving unIDs. Turboscribe.ai offers a $100 unlimited service, but also a free service where you can post three 30-minute maximum audio clips, and AI will transcribe it into text. It's like a second set of ears. I just started using it to transcribe work audio interviews (I'm a journalist) a few days ago. It's much more accurate than anything else i've used, and I noticed it does fairly well at working around noisy surroundings. In fact is has tools I have not yet tried that purport to deal even more stringently with reducing background noise. But I tried it this evening on a couple unIDs. Not English ones but Spanish. I uploaded three clips and on two of them it IDed two stations by accurately noting two phone numbers and, in one of the cases it gave me the name of the show, the host and the network (Radio Amistad, on 101.9, for the one in AR), none of which my own ears were able to work out. What's awesome is it gave me the transcription in Spanish and, upon my request, translated it into English. I know the context of each of what was being talked about on the two stations. The third station also was transcribed but nothing heard was IDable, though I could tell from the discussion that it matched a station already heard in that opening. So 3/3 mysteries solved. These three clips were all fairly clear. I have some more muddled clips I'll work on over the next few days. But a site worth bookmarking, for sure. This probably won't solve really tough audio, where three stations are present and the one I'm after is buried. It probably won't work on auroral DX. But in cases where phone numbers and other talk are too rapid for me to figure out, or where the audio isn't perfect, it seems a winner. Time and further testing will tell...

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it on some mixed quality audio of material recorded on 87.9 MHz. Part of the audio was pretty understandable Spanish, while part was pretty noisy. It could not transcribe the noisy audio but could handle the better-quality audio. It did not help me much other than pointing out that it was providing religious programming.

Comment

I put up three more Spanish stations, with decidedly choppy or poor audio, and got much what you experienced. It's definitely going to offer some context. I did get a 524-397-1999 number with a 97.9 I had during an opening that I think might have been a New Orleans translator given the area heard. The 524 area code doesn't make sense but 504 is a NOLA code and at times the middle digit sounds like Cero. The 397 seems definite. I am however uneasy with the 1999. This was all I got on this channel from this station during an Es opening. So I don't have much to work with. In this case the AI leaves me feeling fairly certain but for now I simply know it's a clip worth pursuing with NOLA even more likely IMO. So at some point I'll give it another spin on AI and/or put it up here for a second opinion. So overall mixed opinions. It'll have its uses, and its limitations. It came nowhere close to handling a very weak choppy AM clip. But I have kept many English language clips which my ears have trouble with.

Comment

AI does of course have its limitations. It seems to often provide incorrect info to questions. So, as usual, due diligence is important.

Comment

Working...
        X