Channel 3 Propagation w/Time Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Channel 3 Propagation w/Time Today

I thought that I would try and detail today's low band opening and how propagation changed with time. At the same time, it will show how I use my spectrum analyzer to evaluate an opening and identify station's signals before I can decode them. Here is a collection of images showing today's opening:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CH3 wTime.png
Views:	63
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	673
    The above was using my channel 2 & 3 Yagi antenna. It shows how my reception changed from WOME to WTHC and how the signal levels of them changed with time. Early, when I could only receive WOME, since I already knew WTCH's pilot frequency, I knew that it was starting to be received. When they were about the same strength, I still knew which was which on my spectrum analyzer as I watched WOME slowly drift in frequency. I saw its pilot frequency ranging from 60,309,398 - 60,309,425 Hz. WTHC stayed at a steady 60,309,464 Hz.

WTHC ended up be decoded longer. With WOME now active on the same channel I expected times when they both would have good signals, preventing reception of either station. I am not sure what the mystery stations between them were.

My channels 4 & 5 Yagi had different receptions:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CH4-5 Ant.png Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	672
    WNGH stayed at a pretty steady 66,309,438.5 Hz. The UHF and high VHF antennas connected with the low band Yagi's were different Winegard HD7698P's at different heights.

WGGS came in for a short time on channel 2 on an unconnected tuner as I watched its lurking signal with my spectrum analyzer (knowing its normal frequency).
    Last edited by WHJ; 06-02-2023, 08:39 PM.

VERY interesting.
    As crowding makes traditional DX methods less useful, technology provides us with new methods...

Comment

Working...
    X